Do Aussiedoodles Shed? Sort Of Let Me Explain

Aussiedoodles are generally considered to be a hypoallergenic breed of dog. However, due to the variance in coat type, not every Aussiedoodle will be low- shed. The Poodle parent is a low to the no-shed breed of dog, but an Australian Shepherd parent is a medium to high shedding breed.

Much of what comes into play in a litter of puppies will be the coat they inherit, their specific generation, and immediate lineage. 

It is nearly impossible to say with any real confidence what any single puppy from a litter of Aussiedoodle puppies will shed like. Their puppy coat is not a good indication of what their grown-up coat will be, and so there is always a chance that you could get an Aussiedoodle that sheds more than you planned on. 

Different Aussiedoodle Coat Types 

Australian Shepherds shed, and even though Poodles are considered a no-shed breed, that is not true. Poodles do shed, but their tight curly coats keep most of the hair from escaping their bodies and getting on everything else. 

This is part of the reason it is so important to regularly brush your Aussiedoodle, even if he doesn’t shed much, as these trapped hairs can lead to matting. Poodle hair is also different than that of many seasonal shedders. 

Poodles have a single coat that doesn’t blow out seasonally. It is much like human hair in that way, and it is why Poodles have to have regular haircuts. This means any shedding from a Poodle will never be in excess.

However, when bred with an Australian Shepherd, the potential for shedding increases exponentially. There are three possible coat types, and you often won’t know which one your puppy has until he is grown.

He could inherit the curly coat from his poodle parent and thus be less likely to shed much. The tight curls will contain the loose hairs, and regular brushing should keep any potential matting at bay. 

Your Aussiedoodle could also inherit elements from both parents and get a wavy coat. This is the iconic look for an Aussiedoodle, mainly because it is the easiest to care for of the three types of coats. It is low shed, but the curls are also a great deal looser, making brushing easier and mats less likely. 

The final variation is a type that takes after the Australian Shepherd parent. It is a straight coat and, though it won’t mat, has the highest likelihood of moderate to high shedding potential. 

How Different Generations Affect Shedding 

F150% Aussie, 50% Poodle
F1B25% Aussie, 75% Poodle
F1BB12.5% Aussie, 87.5% Poodle
F250% Aussie, 50% Poodle
F2B37.5% Aussie, 62.5% Poodle
F2BB18.75% Aussie, 81.25% Poodle
F3Various generations

If having a low shed Aussiedoodle is essential to you, you will need to do some deep-diving into the parents’ history of any litter you are considering buying from. 

Let’s break down some of the most common generations and cross-backs of the breed. The “normal” Aussiedoodle is the puppy of a purebred Australian Shepherd and a purebred Poodle. An F1 Aussiedoodle. 

This Aussiedoodle has a fifty-fifty chance of having a coat that sheds. Poodles don’t shed, and Australian Shepherds do, so there is no determining what their puppies’ potential coats will be. 

When they breed an F1, “normal” Aussiedoodle, back to a Poodle, you get a litter of F1B Aussiedoodle puppies. 

These puppies have a 75% chance of having a Poodle’s coat. They are primarily Poodle puppies, being only 25% Australian Shepherd. 

When an F1 Aussiedoodle is bred with another F1 Aussiedoodle, the results are completely unknown. The possibilities for coat types are too varied.

These second-generation (F2) puppies have pools of genes that might produce a coat that is nearly 100% Poodle or, they might produce coats that are almost 100%, Australian Shepherd.

So, if you need an Aussiedoodle with the lowest chance of shedding potential, your best bet is to find a litter of second-generation F1B Aussiedoodle pups. The high percentage of Poodle gives them the best chance of producing curly coats that barely shed at all.

First-generation Aussiedoodles are a gamble when it comes to coat type. Second generations bred back with anything but a Poodle will be a toss-up as well. Your best bet is to find a breeder who has bred an Aussiedoodle back with a Poodle if you need a dog that doesn’t shed. 

Brushing is a Must 

No matter the coat type, whether it sheds much or doesn’t, you will need to be dedicated to the regular brushing of your Aussiedoodle. Their coats mat easily, quickly causing discomfort to the dog, as well as an unsightly appearance. 

Any shed hair that gets caught in the curls of their coat lends to this problem. Plan to brush your dog two to three times a week, and possibly as often as every day. 

Invest in quality brushes and combs so that you can be gentle with your Aussiedoodle’s skin and so that the experience doesn’t become unpleasant for your dog. Brush all the way down to the skin.

Simply brushing out the topcoat will lead to mats at the skin level and become increasingly hard to work out. 

Get a slicker brush and a pin brush or long-tooth comb to help you work from the skin up. Work in small sections at a time and take special care of the chest/belly area, 

under-legs and ears since tangling and matting are worst in these places.

 Feel free to use a dog-specific detangling spray to help you if the matting and tangling are already bad. 

Consider Doodle Supplements 

If you managed to get an Aussiedoodle that sheds more than the usual, at least more than you had hoped and planned that he would, you could always consider supplementing his diet with specific vitamins and oils that may help reduce shedding. 

Before this, however, be sure you check to ensure an excess of shedding isn’t related to a problem your dog may be suffering from. Parasites, bacterial and fungal infections, and allergies are all potential causes for an Aussiedoodle that is shedding excessively. Take your pet to the vet to ensure his shedding isn’t due to an underlying issue before looking into supplements. 

If your Aussiedoodle is healthy and sheds a lot, there are several supplements you can try. They will promote healthy skin and hair, which in many cases reduces excess shedding. The most common oils to supplement with are fish and flax oils. 

These can be purchased in liquid form and stirred in with your dog’s regular food. Brewers yeast is another common supplement for shiny, healthy dog hair that sheds less. It contains biotin, vital B vitamins, and Omega-3s, and you can often find supplements made especially for dogs. 

You can find commercial supplements as well. Just be sure you do your research. Supplemental chews or caplets are just pricey versions of the same ingredients you could get yourself for much cheaper in many cases. 

Final Thoughts 

Aussiedoodles can shed, and some might even shed quite a bit. Some planning and research, and you can give yourself your best chance of getting a puppy that won’t shed, but much of the time, it’s up to the luck of the draw. 

Even so, there are ways to manage to shed with frequent brushings and the consideration of supplementing some healthy oils and vitamins, even an Aussiedoodle that has more Australian Shepherd in him than Poodle doesn’t have to be a hairy, shedding terror.


Diane is a lifelong owner of Labs, Retrievers, a Poodle, Labradoodle, and, more recently, a Goldendoodle. She loves dogs and enjoy's taking her Goldendoodle Nala for walks in the woods with her daughters.

Recent Posts